This is sad news for the entire tennis world. On Monday, the Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said that the six-time event champion Roger Federer would not play in the 2021 season owing to his knee injury.
It will be the first time in his career that the Swiss Maestro will forget the first major event since 1999.
Former World No.1 has not participated in the ATP tour since his semifinal lost against Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open. However, the 20-time Grand Slam champion recently returned to training and also his name was included in the 2021 Melbourne major event entry list, which was released last week.
“In the end, Roger ran out of time to get himself ready for the rigours of a Grand Slam, and he’s very disappointed he won’t be coming to Melbourne in 2021.”, Australian Open tournament director said in a recent statement.
Organiser Craig Tiley continued, “The Australian Open has always held a special place in his heart – remember it was Roger who first called the AO the ‘happy slam”.
“We Wish Him All The Best As He Prepares For His Comeback”: Director Craig Tiley
Roger Federer is now training in Dubai, which seemed to prepare himself for the 2021 Australian Open swing.
However, the 39-years-old eventually decided to skip the first Grand Slam of the year while the hope is that he will make his comeback at Wimbledon, which traditionally takes place in the middle of the season.
“We wish him all the best as he prepares for his comeback later in the year and looks forward to seeing him in Melbourne in 2022.”, Tiley added.
It would be nice to see that Federer will make his return and win his 21st Grand Slam title in the championship, which is his most favourite tournament.