The former World No.1 Roger Federer ’s agent has confirmed that the 20-time Grand Slam Champion will not compete at Miami Open 2021, which is the first ATP Masters 1000 event of the year.
Federer is a four-time title winner in the Florida Master event, which begins last week of this month. In 2019, Roger won his 4th title after a straight-sets victory over host John Isner in the championship match. Unfortunately, the previous year’s event did not occur due to Coronavirus.
As a result, Swiss is still now the defending champion in Miami Gardens, but he is unwilling to retain his crown.
After hearing the living legend’s withdrawal decision, Miami Open tournament director James Blake, the former American tennis star, said that he understands World No.5’s decision and hopes Federer will return in 2022.
“We certainly would have loved Roger to return to Miami to defend his title,” Jame Blake confessed.
“However, as a former player, I understand that you need to tailor your travel and playing schedule to properly work your way back to 100 percent fitness when coming off an injury. Roger is an incredible ambassador for the sport, so the longer he can play on tour, the better it is for all of tennis,” the 41- years-old added.
“Federer Will Go Back And Do A Training Block To Continue To Work”, says Roger’s Agent
The 39-years-old Basel has not played in the ATP Tour since his 2020 Australian open semifinal loss, but the Swiss Maestro will make his comeback at the Qatar Open 2021, which is scheduled to take place from 3-13 in Doha outdoor hardcourts.
Followed by Doha, there is a hope that Federer will also play in Dubai Tennis Championships, which starts on 14th March.
“After Doha and maybe Dubai, he(Federer) will go back and do a training block to continue to work his way back out on tour slowly,” Roger’s agent Tony Godsick told on Monday.
Roger Federer is a three-time champion at the ATP 250 event in Qatar, while he is an eight-time title winner at the Dubai Tennis Championships.