In recent days there had been considerable debates over World No.1 Novak Djokovic’s presence at the Miami Open, where he is a six-time title winner. However, the 33-years-old from Serbia has eventually confirmed his withdrawal from Florida’s 1000 Master event.
On Friday, the 18-time Grand Slam champion wrote on his Twitter page that he wouldn’t play in Miami this year because he needs to balance work and personal life.
“Dear fans, I am very sorry to announce that this year I won’t travel to Miami to compete. I decided to use this precious time at home to stay with my family. With all restrictions, I need to find balance in my time on tour and at home. I look forward to coming back again next year!” Djokovic noted.
Miami Open Chief James Blake Reflects On Djokovic’s Decision
A hard-court master event director James Blake said that he knows how important it is to spend time with family as a father of two children.
“This has been a difficult year for everyone, but especially for players with families. As a father of two myself, I know how important it is to spend time with your children. Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome Novak back to Miami next year,” Blake confessed.
Twitter Reactions on Novak Djokovic’s Post
Several of Serb’s fans and followers have been reacting to his post. Here, some of them for your sight.
“Right decision, bro. To travel to the US for just 1 event right before the European clay season doesn’t make sense. Now you can spend more time with family, rest and recuperate and then be totally ready for the clay season and gearing up for a great chance to get no 19 at the French!” said Pavvy, a tennis blogger.