In the fourth round of the US Open, the last time Spain’s Pablo Carreno Busta and World No. 1 Novak Djokovic met on a tennis court, the outcome was not what anyone would have expected.
Since the start of the season, Djokovic came into that match unbeaten, riding a 26-match winning streak. Given the absence of his major rivals, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, he was highly favored to win the title in New York.
But most surprisingly, Djokovic’s US Open came to an end, as he was disqualified for unintentionally hitting a line judge with a ball.
Pablo Carreño Busta, 29, is the only tennis player to win over Novak Djokovic in 2020, although by disqualification, a month ago in the US Open’s 16th round. The Spaniard will face the 33-year-old Serbian in the Roland Garros French Open quarter-finals on Wednesday.
“Never Talked About It Again”: Pablo Carreno Busta on Djokovic’s Disqualification
“It is a new encounter against number one in the world. We already know what happened in New York. It was bad luck and will not be repeated. We never talked about it again.
Novak is a great guy, but he is not immune to getting upset, and that kind of thing happens to him. Sometimes it is better not to talk about this type of subject again ”, admitted the Spaniard. He is currently number 18 in the ATP ranking.
Carreño believes he will have his chances. “I will fight hard and try to take advantage of my opportunities. I believe that I will have them, and I will have to be aggressive ”.
At the beginning of the tournament, the Spaniard had said that he felt very positive about playing on red dirt. But Carreno Busta told the press in Paris after his fourth-round in over German Daniel Altmaier that he had been a little unwell and hoped to fit in time for his match against Novak Djokovic.