The United States Tennis Association(USTA) has been preparing for the US Open 2020 at the Flushing Meadows. It has scheduled from August 31 to September 13 with strict health protocols, and safety measures. However, several top players have been sharing their opinion over participation at the Hardcourt Grand Slam. Meanwhile, World number eight Belinda Bencic said, she is still not sure about participating in the US Open.
Swiss tennis star Bencic said to Keystone-SDA, “I am still considering what I think about the US Open. For the less-ranked players, who have not earned anything for a long time, it is very good to be able to compete again. However, you can’t lie around the hotel for 18 hours and then get a top performance on the court”.
The 23-year-old Belinda Bencic has been spending the past few months in Slovakia with her trainer. Moreover, She took the Bratislava Open exhibition title last week. Bencic defeated Viktoria Kuzmova in straight sets in the final.
Bencic revealed that she has learned to be patient and adjust to the current situation during the pandemic.“I tried to stay positive despite all the bad news, but it was a strange feeling that I did not have a real goal. I wanted to train, but I did not know why”.
Belinda Bencic Will Play Another Exhibition Event In Slovakia
In the 2019 US Open, Bencic achieved her career-best result. She beat defending champion Naomi Osaka for the third time in last season, before losing to eventual champion Bianca Andreescu in the semifinal.
Belinda Bencic has scheduled to play one more exhibition event in Slovakia next week before she travels to her home country. Not only Belinda Bencic several other top players also expressed their concerns about traveling to the United States.
As of now in the US, the Coronavirus cases in New York have been falling down. On the other hand, major states in the United States like Florida and Texas have reported high spikes in the COVID-19 cases.